Who is the Friends Group?
The project began in 2004 as the idea of Denis Buehler, an Alum Creek State Park employee. He reached out to the community for help in making this idea become reality. In Oct 2004 the volunteer Friends Group formed and immediately began designing the dog park and fundraising.
Volunteers began building the dog park in Sept 2005 and worked for 12 Saturdays, thru Nov 2005. Work resumed in the spring of 2006.
Thanks to countless volunteer hours, the dog park opened on June 3, 2006. It has grown in popularity and in 2008 approximately 300,000 people visited the park.
The Friends group invites you to volunteer for the dog park and help us with ongoing maintenance work, monthly cleanups, improvement projects, special events, and fundraising.
Sign up for the information & volunteer email list.
You may visit our Facebook page for park updates and newsletters.
Or our Instagram page for pictures of dogs enjoying our dog park!
How to give back to the dog park that gives you and your dog so much!?
Email us at email@example.com with any questions or to receive more information on activities and opportunities.
Alum Creek Dog Park is a wonderful place for you and your dog(s), but it takes a lot of volunteer hours to keep the park beautiful, safe, and clean. All it takes to maintain this great facility is for everyone who uses the park to spend just a little time helping to maintain it.
Here's how you can help:
- Pick up stray poops as you watch your dog(s) have fun and play
- Bring plastic grocery bags to fill the containers placed around the park
- During the late summer/fall - pick up apples that have fallen to the ground and toss them into the woods (the deer will eat them, the dogs do not need them!)
- Pick up broken toys and throw them out so dogs do not get hurt
- Pick up stray trash both inside and outside of the fenced play areas and at the dog beach
Want to meet a really nice group of people who have similar interests (we all LOVE our dogs!)? Come to the monthly clean up held the last Saturday of every month. We meet between 10am until around 12pm (come when you can, stay only as long as you can) and work on improvement projects around the park. Everyone is welcome (including your dog!).
Things that always need doing monthly include:
- Washing and disinfecting the water bowls
- Pulling weeds in the entrance garden and along the fence line
- Spreading mulch
- Trimming the apple trees back
- Talking with new park users about the park
Seasonal activities include:
- Laying grass seed
- Mowing the newly growing grass
- Building a new entrance to the Big Dog park (the "back" entrance)
Become a volunteer today for the Friends of the Alum Creek Dog Park.
Your dog can't volunteer but you can!
The Friends of Alum Creek Dog Park is a
501(c)(3) not for profit all volunteer group.
Donations are welcome and can be mailed to
PO Box 271, Lewis Center, Ohio 43035
Emergency Contact Information
Call 911 - If life threatening critical emergency
Call (740) 272-1459 (Alum Creek State Park Police)
If non life threatening emergency or
if significant dog park rules are being broken (i.e. dangerous or aggressive dogs inside the dog park)
Call (614) 846-5800 or (800) 891-9010
To contact MedVet - The closest 24/7 emergency vet service:300 E Wilson Bridge Rd, Worthington OH 43085
To report non emergency problems at the dog park, please call the Alum Creek State Park Regional Office at 740-548-4631.
3993 Hollenback Rd
Lewis Center, OH 43035
7am to 11pm Daily